There are two L1 visa categories: L1A visas for Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manger and L1B visas for Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge. Once an L1A visa employee or L1B visa employee is given L1 visa status and begins their employment within the United States, their time in L visa status begins to run. The initial stay for an L1A visa employee opening a new office is one (1) year, and the initial stay for all other L1 visa employees is three (3) years. At the end of the initial period of stay in L1 visa status extensions may be granted in two (2) year increments, until the L1 visa employee reaches either the 5 year L1B visa time limit, or the 7 year L1A visa time limit. There are two  (2) exceptions to the standard time limits placed on L1B visa employees and L1A visa employees:

  1. The L1 visa employee does not reside continually in the United States and works in the United States less than six (6) months each year, OR
  2. The L1 visa employee resides abroad and commutes to the United States for a part-time position.

This scenario is common with Canadian companies that have U.S. offices where commuting back and forth between offices is convenient.  It is also common with executives whose presence is only needed intermittently within the United Sates. When seeking extensions beyond the normal 5 and 7 year L1 visa limits, it is important to keep a detailed record of time spent within the United States and abroad.

If you have questions about extending your L1 visa beyond the 5 or 7 year limits, we can help. Contact Mr. Richards today with your questions, or if you require our assistance with extending your L1 visa.

Call: 716-832-2222 or Email: